Monday 9 January 2012

Working Title

I did something unusual for the past two weekends: I stayed in Afyon.

Because we have such a large network of Fulbright grantees all around Turkey, I've been able to explore Turkey and have great friends to stay with while I do it. After spending a weekend in Mugla (a beautiful coastal province to the south) and then a weekend in Usak (a city only about 2 hours away), I was happy to relax at home before my upcoming European getaway.

New Years: Kara came from Usak to Afyon. We planned and scheduled and booked and reserved for hours on end. Now each day of our winter travels is neatly typed onto an itinerary, just the way I like it. After that, we met up with my friend and her hubby. Lucky for us, Ryan Seacrest and his tiny, gelled head was an ocean, a continent and a few times zones away. Turkish pop singer Hadise counted down for us: "On, dokuz, sekez..." after she sang some of her hit songs.


Not New Years: School is school. I'm trying to be creative with my lesson plans by incorporating music and encouraging imagination among the students. As the semester comes to a close (January 20th) I can sympathize with their dragging feet, but I certainly won't tolerate them.

This past Saturday was spent with my Turkish tutor and a friend shopping and bowling. The idea was to get me to practice Turkish in a real world setting. O gun cok eglendim (I enjoyed that day a lot...except without any of the proper Turkish letters). I got new pants and a second place bowling score. PLUS, the roomies and I finally made the gingerbread house kit my mom sent.

Erik chose to craft an Occupy Afyon tent village

What's a gingerbread house without creepy porcelain statues?

All together!

Sunday, Erik, Emily II, and myself went to an ebru art exhibit. Super pretty!



I wish they had a demonstration like in the video below, because its really amazing. I know they offer lessons, but I'm not sure that I could make the financial and time commitment required, unfortunately.


Final comment: I'm taking up knitting soon. The yarn's been purchased, and Emily II has promised to teach me. Three unfinished knotted pieces of string coming right up. Anybody need a cat toy?

No comments:

Post a Comment