Thursday 29 September 2011

Hanging my Hat in Afyon: Finally Settled

I've been in Turkey for just under a month and I'm happy to say we've finally settled in Afyon. After much running around, our apartment now has beds, a functioning stove and various other necessities. I'm becoming familiar with the streets of this small city and the small city is becoming familiar with me. Not many foreigners come to Afyon, so I often get asked "Nerelisiniz" (where are you from?).

So, two other Fulbrighters and I climbed over 500 steps to the castle that looms behind our apartment the other day. Here are some images from the adventure:




The legend goes that if you climb to the castle you are to stay in Afyon for 7 years. But if you don't climb the castle you are to stay in Afyon for 14 years. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't- so we did.



Our apartment is right in the center of town. Here are two images from our balcony:




We are getting eased into teaching by observing and teaching a handful of lessons this week. Next weekend we will take on classes independently. We will teach a total of 21 hours a week. I'm ready to spread my teaching wings. Hopefully the fresh-faced students are ready for some full-on English immersion...'cause it's coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment