Wednesday 7 September 2011

Merhaba Turkey

Selam,

The last few days have been a flurry of activity. My travels to Turkey were relatively easy, but 24+ hours of traveling including 3 airplanes and their less-than-nutritious accompanying meals wore me out. I was ready for bed upon arrival.

Since that much needed first night of sleep, I've been attending various workshops and lectures provided by Fulbright to help orient us (fellow ETAs and myself) to the Turkish language, politics and culture.

Earlier today we were lucky enough to tour Atatürk's mausoleum and museum. The site was beautiful and the deep connection between Atatürk and his people could still be felt, despite it being decades since his death.

Below you will find a view of Ankara from the mausoleum. The bustling capital city looks serene in the photo, but be sure that the streets are full of honking cabs.

Ankara



The area outside the city reminds me of Las Vegas, NV with its sparse, dry mountains.

Ankara is providing a wonderful introduction to Turkey, and I look forward to the remaining week I will be spending here.

4 comments:

  1. HiEmm:
    This is a test message, Aunt Ell and I are trying to get in, but I don't think it's working. If you should read this, let us know.
    Uncle Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,

    I already tried to write a post but it disappeared, I'll try again.

    So excited to read your post and get to know what life is like in Turkey. How are you getting around? Do you have to take a honging cab? Ging

    ReplyDelete
  3. EMILY! You are a superstar. I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily,

    This sounds like such a great adventure, I'm excited just reading about it and your actually living it. I can't wait to hear more and keep those pics coming. Ging

    ReplyDelete